Intersex is what it is, even if our doctors want to call it something else.
Parents are not being told their baby is intersex to justify cosmetic genital surgery. These surgeries are not medically necessary. Because our bodies are seen as different, intersex infants, children and adults are often stigmatized and subjected to multiple human rights violations. Diagnosis and terms that can be used (although there are many, many more forms of intersex not listed here):
- Disorders of Sexual Development (DSD; and taught that genital differences are a defect).
- Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia
- Gonadal Dysgenesis
- Ambiguous Genitals
- Microphallus (small penis)
- 46,XX testicular disorder
- Psychosocial emergency (click to read about this)
- Psychological “well being” of the child, to justify drastic surgery. (A message from Tiger Devore Ph.D.)
……and likely other names and diagnosis, that make a parent think their baby/child needs “fixed”, and “medically” assigned gender based on their genitals. Yes, they actually can measure “it” to determine gender! As a fetus, the same spot that develops into a clitoris, can develop into a penis. You can read about that here: Seven Names for the SAME thing: Penis, Phallus, Clitoris, Phalloclitoris, Micropenis, Microphalus, and Clitoromegaly.
The negative consequences of “fixing” these intersex conditions:
- Choosing the WRONG GENDER and assuming there are only two genders; when even gender is a spectrum of male and female.
- Loss of sexual function (Not reversible).
- Loss of fertility. (Not reversible)
- Loss of sexual sensation and orgasm as an adult. (Not reversible)
- Loss of body parts you wish you had, once you self-determine your gender. (Not reversible)
- Scar tissue does not grow with the child. This almost always results to repeated surgeries. (Not reversible)
- SEVERE POST TRAUMATIC STRESS DISORDER.
WARNING: There is NO chromosome test or genital determining test for gender. GENDER IS IN OUR BRAIN.
Please wait until the baby/child, can tell the world who they are. See if they truly want THEIR genitals cut on, removed, or changed.
To learn about Gender and Intersex, please watch:
By Judi Herring, M.D.
A message from: Hida Viloria (Intersex writer and activist):
“Intersex people are born with sex characteristics that do not fit typical binary notions of male or female bodies. Being intersex is much more common than most people think – according to experts, there are as many intersex people as there are red haired people.
Because their bodies are seen as different, intersex children and adults are often stigmatized and subjected to multiple human rights violations, including violations of their rights to health and physical integrity, to be free from torture and ill-treatment, and to equality and non-discrimination.”
Please go to my link for educational Videos and A list for Organizations: Intersex Videos and Organizations