I thank you for your hard work and making this a better world!
Go to InterACT to see original:
HISTORY: MADE! Today, interACT: Advocates for Intersex Youth, Equality California, and California State Senator Scott Wiener celebrate the passing of the first legislation in U.S. history to name the harms of non-consensual medical interventions on intersex people.
Earlier today the state of California passed SCR-110, a resolution calling on the medical profession to heed international human rights guidelines and delay cosmetic non-consensual procedures, such as clitoral reductions, until an individual can participate in the decision.
SCR-110 was supported by numerous human rights organizations including the ACLU, Human Rights Watch, Children’s Advocacy Institute, GLMA: Health Professionals Advancing LGBT Equality, the Trevor Project, and PFLAG, among others.
The resolution explains that the CA legislature “considers intersex children a part of the fabric of our state’s diversity to be celebrated rather than an aberration to be corrected” and directly quotes intersex people explaining their experiences with the medical community and their hopes for the future of intersex rights. InterACT is proud to have raised these important voices across California and beyond.
- Full SCR-110 resolution text (PDF)
- interACT’s press release, 8/28/2018 (PDF)
- Video explaining SCR-110
- Intersex-inclusive language tips (PDF)
Understanding the issue: intersex 101:
- Intersex 101 (PDF)
- Intersex 102: Debunking Common Pro-Surgery Arguments (PDF)
- Talking about intersex for media professionals (PDF)
- Full education toolkit at 4intersex
Read all about the resolution with in-depth coverage:
- Teen Vogue: California Is the First State to Condemn Intersex Genital Mutilation
- them.us: California Just Became the First State to Pass Legislation Supporting Intersex Rights
- NBC: ‘A baby cannot provide … consent’: Calif. lawmakers denounce infant intersex surgeries
- Rewire.News: Intersex People Want to End Nonconsensual Surgeries. A California Resolution Is Their ‘Warning Shot.’
- Huffington Post: California Is The First State To Denounce ‘Corrective’ Surgery On Intersex Children
- USA Today: California becomes first state to condemn intersex surgeries on children
- Human Rights Watch: California: Resolution Affirms Intersex Rights
And general information pieces from many outlets:
- Inquisitr: California Becomes First State To Condemn ‘Corrective’ Surgeries On Intersex Children
- Pink News: Genital surgeries for intersex babies condemned in California’s landmark resolution
- New Now Next: California Passes Resolution Condemning Intersex Surgeries on Babies
- Buzzfeed: California Just Became The First US State To Condemn Surgeries On Intersex Children
- Out: California Is the First State to Condemn Surgery On Intersex Children
- Jezebel: California Is the First State to Denounce ‘Corrective’ Intersex Surgery On Children